Drake bell dating history blind dating houston
They lay at ease in their high pews, with their hats on, and neither knelt at the Litany nor bowed at the name of Jesus. 8) One John Foster, appointed to the rectory in 1544, (fn.9) was ordered in 1553 as a 'sediciouse' preacher to appear before the Privy Council with a note of his late sermon. 10) Matthew Griffith, a later rector, was fined as a delinquent in 1647. 11) The rectory-house, a large early 18th-century building, built by the Rev. D., rector, is about a quarter of a mile to the north on high ground in a fine situation overlooking the town.The rectangular house to the west of the Swan Inn is of 1678.One other inn may be mentioned, the 'Elephant and Castle' on the north side of High Street, a half-timber house with gabled front and an old brick chimney at the east.In 1788 it afforded a night's lodging to Stebbing Shaw on his tour in the west of England. 17) In the 17th century there is mention of the 'White Hart' (fn.18) and of the 'Saracen's Head,' then held by William Grimsdell. 19) The still existing King's Arms Hotel in High Street is a three-storied brick and timber house of the 16th century gabled at the back but with a modern front.The nucleus of the old grammar school, now a timber house with modern brick facing, is rectangular in plan and probably of early 16th-century date; an east wing was, however, constructed about 1621 and other additions made later.The old timber framing can be seen in the southern part of the gabled eastern side of the house. Mary's Church lies further east off the High Street, in its churchyard, where trouble arose in 1624 through a muster which had been kept there, the deputy-lieutenants threatening vengeance on those responsible. 7) Complaints were made at the same time of the behaviour of parishioners in church.
Of these there are in Amersham proper 2,940 acres of arable land, 1,699 acres laid down in pasture, and 388 acres of woods and plantations. Sheltered in this dip is the town of Amersham with a low-lying quarter at Bury End where 291 ft. Amersham has now a station on the Metropolitan and Great Central joint railway, situated on a hill about a mile north-east of the town.
In documents of the early 18th century it is referred to as the property of James Child. 12) His family existed for generations at Amersham, (fn. In 1598 they quarrelled over a close with the Snells, (fn.
15) who are also represented to-day by a farm bearing their name.
In the High Street, not far distant from the church, is the old Crown Inn, which probably dates from about 1620, but was refronted in the 19th century.
Although the house is much restored, old ceiling beams and some early 17th-century panelling remain. 14) and one branch acquired Coleshill Manor (q.v.).